[SunRescue] Hard drive upgrading

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 15 15:10:08 CDT 2001

cd /
tar clf - . | (cd /mnt; tar xpf -)

This will copy everything from the / file system to whatever is mounted in
/mnt.  It will not cross filesystem boundaries.  If you want to copy
another file system, cd to it and change the cd /mnt to point to where you
want to copy it to

Much much much cleaner than using cp, and not such an ugly hack as using
dd.  Preserves file ownerships and modification times.