[SunRescue] `Bigger' height SCA disks in SS5 ?

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 11:25:55 CDT 2001

Hmm...when I ran into this problem I ended up
putting the mistakenly-purchased 1.6" drives
into external cases with SCA<->50 pin adapters.
You can use the 1.6" drives in other Sun boxen
that use the "spud" adapters, but the SPARC 5/20
hard drive sleds won't (in my experience) close
and latch properly with the 1.6" drives, even with
the top off.

If I'd been able to get them to latch, then I
would have tried to form a custom top out of
fiberglass that would have had a "hump" for the
upper (too thick) disk...like some of the rice-burner
"sports cars" you see on the roads nowadays.  (My
SPARC 20 is in a SPARC 5 case, so it already has an
inferiority complex...)

ObQuestion:
I've never played with differential SCSI-2 before,
but I've just been handed an SBus wide differential
plus Ethernet card.  Any things I should know about
cabling/termination differences between this and
regular FW/SE SCSI?

--
Rip Loomis
Brainbench MVP for Internet Security