[SunRescue] Networking details (was Re: OT: Advice on Certification)

Simeon Johnston rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 8 10:26:00 CDT 2001

Robert Novak wrote:

> Well, 192.168.1.0/16 is a valid ip address and netmask. In the
> 192.168.0.0/16 network, 192.168.0.0 is network and 192.168.255.255 is
> broadcast, so anything else in the middle *could* be used.
>
> This may confuse systems that don't understand CIDR; we had some issues
> with our /22 subnet internally at work, wherein the dhcp server assigned a
> middle-appears-to-be-24-bit-network .255 address and it caused some
> serious problems.
>
> Are we talking 192.0.0.0-223.255.255.0 networks that are /24 by default in
> a classful network structure? That is the best definition of a Class C
> *Network*, but I think "Class C Subnet" is clear enough to mean a /24
> regardless of what it is a subnet of.

Okay.  I don't have any formal training in networking but in all the books I've
read Class C was always refered to as the reserved address 192.168.0.0/24.  There
wasn't anything about 192.0.0.0 0 233.255.255.0.  I understand what you are
talking about but how are they supposed to know the right answer if they are
taught the wrong answer?
I personaly consider it a tragedy that someone actually taught these people
something that is supposed to get them a pretty good job with resonable pay at
least.  Then they teach them a load of crap that merely demonstrates there
incompetence to interveiwers.

> I'd be far more worried if someone didn't understand what I meant if I
> said "break down 69.0.0.0/8 into class C subnets" ... and if someone in
> an interview said "you can't do that because that's a class A network and
> it's reserved anyway" I'd show them the door.

I don't understand what you mean. :-)
And realized again how much I really don't know.
And how much I don't want to know. :-)
But I suppose I'll have to learn it sometime.  Guess I'll be pulling out that
networking book I've been hiding from.

sim