[SunRescue] West coast swap note... (was Re: "Hooking up" at TCF this weekend)

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 5 21:20:13 CDT 2001

On Sat, 5 May 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Field Report, Day One:
>
> Weather was pretty reaonable - started out in the low 70's, then got
> overcast arounf luchtime (1:00), with a bit of rain/drizzle for an hour or
> two, followed by Freakin' heat. Typical schitzophrenic weather for TCF.

Cool report. Looks like there were some deals to be had.

I don't know how many San Francisco area people are on the list, but I
seem to recall 1 or 2. If you've not been acquainted with it, the
Livermore Amateur Radio Klub (LARK) sponsors a swap meet the first Sunday
of each month in Livermore, rain or shine... usually some good computer
stuff in addition to the radio stuff.

There's often a fair bit of Sun stuff, at least one vendor always has an
assortment of $200-300 sun4m systems. Occasionally you'll find some VME
stuff too. I've gotten some nice non-sun deals there too... the $50
Alphastation 250 from a couple of months ago, a free HP of some sort (I
don't remember where I put it), and a couple of PR440FX motherboards for
$5 each. It varies... bad weather usually leads to light turnout for
buyers and sellers alike, but on a good day there's probably a hundred
vendors and some good deals.

If you're curious, check out
http://www.bayinsider.com/community/groups/LARK/Swap_Meet.html for details
and directions.

There's also the Foothill swap, 2nd Saturday of each month March-October
in Los Altos, California... more computer stuff than radio, also some good
cellular bits (yum, 3800mAh nokia battery). www.electronicsfleamarket.com
for details.

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows