[SunRescue] Re: OT: Advice on Certification

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 5 14:40:32 CDT 2001

On Sat, 5 May 2001, Chris Byrne wrote:

> But as far as I know, you don't qualify for CISSP yet anyway Jon, you need
> to have thre years with security as a primary job function. You could still
> take and pass the test, but you wouldn't be a CISSP.

If you're a sysadmin maintaining systems connected to the Big Bad
Internet, security _is_ a primary job function.  It can't be anything
else.

The fact that you also have 10 zillion other primary job functions (the
curse of every admin) is irrelevant.  The top one should always be to Keep
Everything Running, and both the design and implementation of security are
vital parts of that.

-James