[SunRescue] OT: Advice on Certification

Gil Young rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 5 01:32:32 CDT 2001

I would say it looks nice, but I wouldnt shun anyone without certs.  The
sharpest person I knew at UNIX 6-7 years ago never had even one
certification, but he could code on the Linux kernel.  I would hire him in a
heartbeat if I could. If there was a position open at my company and you
were interviewing with me, I would probably run you by my sharpest UNIX guys
to get his feelings about you, and/or give you a hands-on test of my own,
and grade you more on how you worked on the problem rather than if you
figured it out or not (some of the problems would be rather tricky :)).

P.S. The classical definition of class C, this has actually bitten me on
older routers that had older code, if you know what I mean :).  Thank God
for Y2K, I actually got to get rid of all the old router crap finally!
Before that, well, try explaining the classical definition of class C in old
router code and future interoperability to financial people :p.

Gil Young
Call Sign: KG4KVX