[SunRescue] Re: OT: Advice on Certification

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 4 23:27:27 CDT 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> <Brian> Hi, my name is Brian, and I'm an . . . NT Administrator <choke>.
> <Room> Hi Brian!

<Room> Hope you get better soon!

or

<Room> Here's $0.00, buy a real OS!

:-)

> I _want_ my next job to be much more involved with 'unix' so my question is
> .. how important ARE credentials to the people doing hiring for unix admins?
> I'm going to take the tests (but I don't *like* tests) I'm just looking for
> .. encouragement?  Someone to give me a kind word? (did I say I don't like
> tests?)

When I interview Windows people, an MSCE is an automatic black mark on
their score card. It's right up there with listing 10Base-T and
10Base-2 as network technologies they're familiar with, or people who
wear ties to interviews for jobs where they'll be crawling around under
desks and behind server racks..

For UNIX people, it gives me more of a sense of respect, in that they had
things going well enough somewhere that they had time to take the courses,
and talked their management into paying for it. :)

But as others have said here, it's what you know and what you can do, and
how well you present your abilities and experience. The training is good,
especially if it's not out of your pocket and you get paid for the time
you're there... but it probably won't get you any jobs. It might be a good
way to get started on the road to the side of good.

You might also want to grab the purple version of the red book ("UNIX
System Administration Handbook" by Nemeth and Snyder and Hein) which can
give you a good introduction to multiple UNIXes, not just Solaris.

The only class I've taken aside from the LISA seminars last winter was
Legato Networker training. I list that certification on a resume when
people specifically ask about Networker or backup. Otherwise I tend to
leave it off. If my next employer wants me to get a certification, I'd be
glad to. It's almost as good as a vacation...

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows