[SunRescue] Funkiness in Sparc serial consoles using vt100

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 2 15:38:17 CDT 2001

>> i'm too lazy to quote, so cope. :)
> Sure....(:+}}...

good boy. :)

>> first off, nice to see ya again NetBSD Bob, although i like what your name
>> shows up as now, very nice. :)
> Thanks....(:+}}...

you one of them old-timers with too much free time then, eh? :)

> Well, I was following Henry Spencer's fine logic, quoted of late, to the
> modified effect that all the world's terminal emulations grok vt100 by
> default, and thus, was trying to make that work.  That is handy, from the
> Simeon Simpleton Bitbucket attachment mode, usually.  What is causing me
> to scratch the remaining three hairs upon me noggin, is that the emulation
> works fine on the SS10, but not on the Classic, in either NetBSD or OpenBSD.
> Same terminal, same settings, SS10 OK, Classic barf, as it happens to be.
> There be some bit of small subtlety, there, there be.....(:+}}...

when has Sun been known to follow standards? even their own for that matter.
they are the BCFH.  i think that's why i like them.  their attitude is

"Fsck You we'll do it any damn way we please."

> I will try the vt420 default mode and see if that helps.  If nothing
> else, I will stick the DEC terminal back on the VAXentoyz and reach
> fer a Wyse or a Televideo.... they never seem to barf in vt100 mode.

get a DECserver.  much better. :)

>> i'm going to bed now, putting those words together was far too difficult.
> Nah, ye just needs another round o' Joe, in yer veins, fer another
> all-nighter a'bangin' on da keyboard....(:+}}....

can't do that so much anymore these days.  not as young as i used to be (not as
old as you yet though *G*)

cheers,

-b