[rescue] Something I found at work...

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 29 11:06:37 CDT 2001

> An HP 9000/817S is questionable shape.  Anyone familiar with this box?  I
> know it can't be *too* ancient, as we had support on it as recently as
> 1997 or so.  But I can't seem to get any decent console output(I found the
> CPU, a serial port mux breakout + terminal, a SCSI SE and misc. cables).
> I get dropped into a
>

> prompt if I do a ctrl-b after poweron, but it looks like I'm being dropped
> into a config screen for the serial mux, not the ISL/IPL.
>
> Clues? :) (dirty from digging this thing out of the shop floor, but happy
> with my find)

HP has some docs online that may help.  Snoop around docs.hp.com
and search on the model number.

One possible URL might be:

  http://www.hp.com/workstations/support/archive/#7xx

(or at least that is what my NTbrowserpuke says for a URL).

It is their obsolete hardware doc archive.

Your box seems to be one of their industrial boxes, and I don't seem to
be able to key that out, directly.

Bob