[[rescue] RE: CSMA vs. CDMA Carrier Sense vs. Carrier Detect)]

James Fogg rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 29 08:29:42 CDT 2001

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, THOU SPAKE:
> Remember Godwin's Law. I suggest that no one who disagrees with
> the above statement use the word Nazi at all, or the signal to
> noise ratio on this list could drop to nil as we all refer to
> each other as Nazis and our chips and salsa as Nazi-like.
>
> -
> Mike H.

I just checked out Godwin's law. Sorry.

I'll restate...
If you like packet-dominating, no room for free will LAN protocols, try Token
Ring or FDDI. Of course, these protocols limit LAN size by port count, rather
than by traffic count (if you have tons-o-ports on a T/R network, everybody has
to wait for the token to pass from station to station, thus capping LAN
performance at a certain number of ports).

	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!