[rescue] Monty Python - Cheques

Mike Meredith rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 13:03:29 CDT 2001

On Wednesday 27 June 2001 16:15, you wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 03:49:19PM +0100, P.A.Osborne wrote:
> > But what DID the yanks ever do for us?
> > Paul
>
> Ever heard of this wonderful thing called the Internet? 8-)

And if it wasn't for that, we'd still be writing hostnames the right
way around (MEREDITHM at UK.AC.PORTSMOUTH.CSOVAX).

If it wasn't for The Internet, there would still be some kind of
internet around --- before my workplace got Internetted in 1993, we
were connected via X.25 JANET which itself had been around in some form
or another for about 20 years.

Certain high level UK academic places were playing around with WAN
networks in the 1960's, and some of the earliest papers on packet
switching (including possibly the phrase) were published in the UK.