[rescue] SGI and Intel (was: Another fine business decision for us axp-lovers)

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 14:29:47 CDT 2001

On June 26, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> It's interesting that you keep mentioning linux on alpha performance,

  Have I been harping on that point?  My apologies; I hadn't intended
to. :-/

> because for awhile, Torvalds main machine was a dual processor Alpha.
> Maybe that means that Linus is to blame for the good performance on Intel.

  Who knows.

> So, on NetBSD, how do they get around the fact that GCC sucks on most risc
> implementations?

  I have NO idea.  NetBSD is *really really fast* on Alpha machines.  I
guess I'd attribute it to lots of in-depth Alpha talent in a few of
the core developers.  Some of those guys have a frighteningly thorough
knowledge of Alpha hardware.

          -Dave McGuire