[rescue] SGI and Intel (was: Another fine business decision for us axp-lovers)

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 13:44:43 CDT 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   For all of its quirks, IRIX has been through iteration after iteration
> of tuning and tweaking, and it was BUILT to run on SGI hardware.
> Linux is reasonably quick on a PeeCee...but I really don't see a very
> i386-specific OS transplanted to a complex architecture beating
> something like IRIX performance-wise anytime soon.  Witness the
> abyssmal performance of Linux on Alpha, for example.

It's interesting that you keep mentioning linux on alpha performance,
because for awhile, Torvalds main machine was a dual processor Alpha.
Maybe that means that Linus is to blame for the good performance on Intel.

So, on NetBSD, how do they get around the fact that GCC sucks on most risc
implementations?

--
Joshua Boyd