[rescue] Motorola Chips (WAS The end of alpha)

James Fogg rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 07:40:18 CDT 2001

Motorola does make kickass chips of many designs. Machine-code knowledge of
Motorola microprocessors will absolutely hands down assure you of a great job
for life with many major companies in any geographical market you choose. I am
still kicking myself in the butt for dumpstering my 46 volume reference library
on Motorola semiconductors and microprocessors (a $900.00 value I got for free,
moving sucks - it forces you to make bad decisions you'll regret).

Factoid... for every microprocessor Intel+AMD ships, Motorola ships 3. That
doesn't even include non microprocessor chips. And, unlike Intel, every
microprocessor shipped gets used, not outdated and dumped.

AND.. I love my two Motorola Star Tacs (most comfortable design for a phone I
ever saw), but hate my Nokia 9600(?) flippy digital.

AND, Motorola make fantastic routers and leads the voice-over-IP/Frame market
by a screaming margin.

BTW, for those who know me, my prior employment with Motorola didn't bias my
opinion. I used to work for Bose too, and I think their stuff is crappola.

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, THOU SPAKE:
> On June 25, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > >   Motorola does a LOT more than sell processors, though.
> >
> > IRIDIUM, for instance.  And crappy cell phones.
>
>   *sigh*
>
>   Howbout about a zillion other chips, including big-balls processors
> that dominate the ENTIRE high-end embedded market?  Howbout a zillion
> other chips that have nothing to do with mainstream BiggaHertz(tm)
> desktop crap?  Howbout still another zillion chips that aren't even
> digital?  And that's ignoring all the component-level stuff they make
> that aren't even ICs.
>
>   My Motorola cell phone is indestructible.  But THAT'S just an opinion.
>
>   Sheesh, Patrick.
>
>        -Dave McGuire
	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!