[rescue] SGI and Intel (was: Another fine business decision for us axp-lovers)

Sebastian Marius Kirsch rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 01:51:15 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 07:35:18PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On June 25, nick at snowman.net wrote:
> > SGI is very very serious about getting linux running on very large intel
> > boxes.
>   ...purely for the sake of the press that it will get them.

Is there *any* other reason to get Linux running on anything? On x86, I
can -- with some effort -- understand why you'd want to run Linux,
though I'm not sure whether it's ready for this class of machines
yet. On any other platform -- like those guys that got Linux to run on
an Origin3000 --, it's pure marketing. I think Linux is ready to trade
place with NT as the most over-hyped OS ever.

But the scary thing is that the *whole* computing industry is
participating in this hype. Slap the label "Linux" on virtually
*anything*, and you can be sure of getting lots of press. Addison Wesley
(OK, so Addison Wesley is ... let's not go there) putting out a series
of books like 'LDAP on Linux', 'DHCP on Linux' ... What does that have
to do with Linux? Never mind that it makes *absolutely* no difference
whether you run this kind of stuff on Linux or *any* other kind of unix
-- it still gets labeled as a "Linux" topic.

Oh my, look at the time -- shouldn't really write emails that early in
the morning ...

--
Yours, Sebastian Kirsch <skirsch at moebius.inka.de>

Parents of young organic life forms are warned that towels can be
harmful if swallowed in large quantities.