[rescue] The end of alpha

G W Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 25 15:12:06 CDT 2001

> part of the Athlon's internal bus architecure is based off the Alpha's
> internal bus architecture.  AMD licensed it from DEC.   It makes the
> Athlons and Thunderbird chips scream.
>
> Thats why, when I'm forced to use an x86 based solution, I go with AMD
> chips.  Clock cycle for clock cycle, dollar for dollar, and instruction
> for instruction, AMD chips blow Intel chips out of the water.

The sad thing is that one of the original promises of the athlon (CPU's with
up to 2 megs of cache) has been quietly swept under the rug by AMD.
Hamstrung by the need to "keep up with the Jones's" speed-wise, they have
seriously neglected the SMP and Large Cache areas of development.

I want to see the 4-way SMP boards for AMD's and the 2 meg cache processors
that they talked about in the beginnings of the K7 project.

George