[rescue] Another fine business decision for us axp-lovers

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 25 14:34:43 CDT 2001

I don't remeber seeing 64bit registers though when I was poking around PPC
assembly, so how do they justify calling it 64bit?

Darn it, now I'm going to have to dig up some PPC ASM info.

OK, so a brief skim reveals 32int registers, and 32float registers.
That's nice.  It has 32bit instructions.   That's also nice (albiet
standard for RISC machines I'm told).  OK, from one tutorial I'm reading
(http://www.lightsoft.co.uk/Fantasm/Beginners/Chapt1.html), it says that
doubles can only be handled through the FPU.  That would seem to indicate
that general registers are only 32bit, but still looking for specific
confirmation.

OK, further down the same page, it said that the general registers are
32bits wide.

So, we have 32bit instructions, and 32bit general registers.  Just like
x86.  We also have 64bit FPU registers, also like x86.  And we have a
128bit bus.  Well, I know that Socket7 chips have a 64bit bus, I don't
remeber if that was expended on the P6 core or not.

So, what justifies calling a PPC in an Apple a 64bit machine?

Or, is the PPC just being throttled like a 386 in 16bit mode?

--
Joshua Boyd