[rescue] Hello and VAX 8600 for trade

Jeffrey S. Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 02:30:04 CDT 2001

Hello everyone.  I've just subscribed to both geeks and rescue.
If you just want the trade info, skip the next two boring
paragraphs! :-)

----- ABOUT ME -----

Please allow me to introduce myself.  I'm a 22-year-old male, born
and living in Oklahoma.  The Art of Programming has been my one
true function since sometime in the fourth or fifth grade, when my
father brought home a TRS-80 and a BASIC programming manual from
the school where he teaches.  Growing up in the 80s and early 90s
as a computer nerd in a rural Oklahoma farm town was difficult, but
I successfully did it.  I now live in Norman and am a year away
from completing my BS in CS at OU.  I work for a local industrial
security firm, where I do embedded stuff (fun), web design
(tolerable), and database administration (despicable).

I've always been interested in the history of computing.  About the
first of this year, I began to collect classic machines.  I wish to
concentrate on machines that are either (1) DEC minicomputers, or
(2) minicomputers with blinkenlights.  Thus, my favorites are
PDP-11s and -8s.

----- TRADE REQUEST -----

I've recently acquired a VAX 8600 system in 4 cabinets.  Though it
is a very cool (and BIG) machine, there is nevertheless some
hardware that I'd rather have in its place.

Basically, I want to trade it for things more on the blinkenlights
side of spectrum.  I would be especially interested in trading for
a PDP-11/45 or /70 system, but would still consider other makes and
models.

If you're interested in making a trade with me, please e-mail me
directly.  I *know* some of you out there have one or even several
of the machines I desire, so speak up! :-)

Thanks all for reading this post.

--
Jeffrey S. Sharp
jss at ou.edu