[rescue] 670MP windfall in the surplus diving frenzy today.....

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 21:07:10 CDT 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On June 20, Dan Debertin wrote:
> > Well, they weigh a ton and cost roughly $10/mo to power. They also throw
> > off a lot of heat and noise. If those aren't problems for you, enjoy!
>
>   I become more and more amused at statements like this as time goes on.
>
>   Hasn't anyone here ever seen a BIG computer, one whose processor
> measures in the dozens of 6' racks and has a building built around it?

Sure I have; I'm just not interested in telling fish stories. We've all
seen biiig computers. Biiiiig deal.

> There's nothing big or heavy about a Sun '70 chassis.  Good grief.

Context, Dave. If you're at a swapmeet, like the original poster claimed
to be, and you're going to be taking it home, as I also assume the
original poster was, then "big" is:

a) anything you can't get into your car yourself, or

b) anything your spouse would laugh at if you brought in the door.

The difference between that kind of "big", which is really quite small,
and the "big" that you describe, is a matter of perspective.

It doesn't matter.

Dan
--
Dan Debertin