[rescue] 670MP windfall in the surplus diving frenzy today.....

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 15:14:40 CDT 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> OK, with some trepidation, I lugs meself away a sort of 670MP box,
> today, from the surplus feeding frenzy diving pit.

They do seem to be popping up more and more, don't they? I have one
myself.

> It appears to have a Ross CYM6002K addin board of some kind

Blech. SM100's.

> (6 hat
> chips on it plus two surface mount chips), and is full of 501-1739
> ram sticks.

Those are 4MB sticks. If you've got two banks full (i.e., 32 sticks), you
have 128MB RAM.~

> 1.  What speed/rating is this cpu?

40MHz, no cache. Slow as hell. You can upgrade that, though.

> 2.  What is the Ross thingie, and is it good for much?

The "Ross thingie"'s are the CPUs. They make good coasters.

> 3.  What cable is needed to hook back up into the internal box
>     drive cabling system (I am assuming a small HD50 cable of
>     some sort.

yeah. It's just standard internal SCSI, although I'm surprised your
internal cabling has been removed. Odd, that.

> 4.  What SunOS levels will run on it, although I will probably load
>     up NetBSD if possible.

Up to Solaris 2.5.1. NetBSD runs, but there's no support for SMP, or for
the VME bus. I am waiting impatiently for them to support those two
things. Wish I knew more about SMP, or I would step forward and do it
myself.

> Anything else strange I need to know about this thing before
> attempting to smoke check its innards?

Well, they weigh a ton and cost roughly $10/mo to power. They also throw
off a lot of heat and noise. If those aren't problems for you, enjoy!

Dan
--
Dan Debertin
airboss at nodewarrior.org