[rescue] WTB: SGI

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 06:35:09 CDT 2001

Chris Terwilliger wrote:

> I've got an I2 10K Solid Impact here that I finally got up and running.
> It's a teal case, so I guess that means it got upgraded at some point in
> it's life.

Probably switched mainboard, CPU, graphic boards and power supply.
Everything else should be no different from the older pre-R10k series.

> This was my first experience with IRIX installation, what a screwed up
> process...waded through several attempts to fix incompatibilities before
> finally getting it right.  Is this really the best SGI can do?

Did you have all the CD's? Alot of the software on one CD depends on
software on another CD, and so on. It's a real pain-in-the-*ss
timeconsuming installation, if you haven't done a "install server" setup
with RoboInst (pop all the contents from the CDs on a server and install
from there).

IRIX 6 is _big_.

> So now gotta figure out what it can do, it seems pretty fast.

Impact graphics is nice. You can expand it with TRAM to get hardware
texture capabilities (High Impact) and later pop in another board with
geometry/raster engines and get to the maxed config, Maximum Impact.
Three boards total, I believe.
If you're lucky you can get 100mpbs networking with a 'Phobos' card, a
3Com Fast Etherlink EISA with special PROMs (although a bit pricey).
Other than that you can get a Galileo Video board and get some cameras
to do webcaming or just play around with video editing.
(The Galileo Video has three video inputs, both S-VHS and the usual
Video, along with some digital video connectors)

/Bjorn