[rescue] SPARCstation 2

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 22:28:45 CDT 2001

In a nut shell, "no."

It is a fine machine, but for $200 you can do *much* better with an SS/20 or
an SS/10.

I recently got an SS/20 w/dual SM-71s, 64 Meg RAM and a TGX, along with a
country kit from bill cooke for about $250.

SS/5-170s w/4 Gig HD, 64 Meg RAM and TGX can be gotten for about $200 from
supersellers.net, and 32 Meg RAM is about $20 or so a DIMM...

You can get a bare SS/5-85 for $35 at http://www.compsyscon.com/prod05.htm

My advice, do not invest a dime in the SS/2 - just marvel at what can be
done with minimal hardware... Do you have 64 Meg of RAM already? Bump up the
RAM and stop spending money on.

If you feel the need to spend money, buy a good framebuffer (a TGX say) and
a nice big monitor (19" or so), then plan on moving them to your next
machine...

I may be selling my SS/10sx in the near future, and it will be close to $200
w/7x 16 Meg RAM and dual SM-51s. That will be a nice system and a large
upgrade from your SS/2...

Ken