[rescue] "New" SPARCserver 20

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 10:49:26 CDT 2001

Brian Hechinger wrote:

> are you willing to re-install the OS?  the would make things easiest, just pull
> the 9GB, pop the 18GB in, and put the 9GB in second.  the 9GB is no longer your

Hey, good idea. I'll work on re-installing everything as I realize I'm
missing it. I had thought of starting fresh, and the idea didn't really
appeal. What the heck, though. I'll do it tonight.

> hmm, look for a new keyboard.  also, try re-connecting it a couple times. it
> sounds like you have a bad connection/keyboard/controller.  if re-connecting it
> doesn't work and a new keyboard doesn't work, you may have just found yourself
> a server. :)

Tried 4 keyboards. they all do the same. (I don't know the type #'s. Two
are bright new (old by now) Sun colors with a power key at the top right
and sound controls, and the other two are dull colored tan with sorta
yellowish keys and optical mice) Is the connector bad? Can I replace it?

Why would it take "stop-a" every time, and nothing else 'till then? I
don't get it.

> Memory: 384M real, 45M free, 307M swap in use, 495M swap free
>
> there is no such thing as enough memory.  that's my workstation too. :)

Yeah, well, workstation (the linux box I'm pulling the 9G from) has dual
P3-500's and 512M RAM. It's *still* not enough sometimes. I want more,
more, more! (wouldn't mind processor upgrades either!)

[sambo at jerusalem sambo]$ cat /proc/meminfo
        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  529309696 48021504 481288192 56053760  3858432 21864448
Swap: 271392768        0 271392768

(after a reboot)

But after a SPARC2 with 64M, this SS20's gonna rock! If I can load an
OS, that is.

> considering your keyboard problems, you may end up doing this anyway. :)

So you think it's major? How do I get the OS on there then? After that I
can do everything remotely, but as far as I know, I have to have a
keyboard for now. Is there another way? Can I get the Solaris 8 cd to
run unattended? I'll have to enter network settings at some point.

> no problem.  and if you need help, i'm, well, experienced. :)

Thanks again. I'll ask.

> take your time and learn.  we are in no rush to make you help.  learn first,
> then help.

Cool. Guess I'd better stick around then.

> ps: pimp is setting up interview with CDNOW, wish me luck.

No luck. I wish you success.

Hey, what do you do? I may be able to help you find something....

---sambo