[rescue] "New" SPARCserver 20

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 10:02:00 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 10:29:58PM -0500, Dan Debertin wrote:

> I stopped buying sun4c stuff about 6 months ago ... it was just getting
> too slow to be usable, even under NetBSD.

i stopped buying, yes.  i stopped accepting, no.  my main DNS/mail server is
a sparc2.  and it does a great job.  too slow?  even under NetBSD? uhm, no. :)

> Imagine my surprise, then, when my wife dumped her 200 MHz PowerMac for my
> old, diskless ELC. I have to say, it kicks the mac's ass, even running
> CDE. Probably helps that the machine it's running off of, a well-outfitted
> 4/670, is doing most of the work :).

that is rather surprising.  my wife likes my sparc20 (it's got a 21" monitor
and two 17" monitors, so it's pretty impressive looking and all *G*) but she
is still happier with a PC/Mac.  although she can point my sparc20 at hotmail
and read her email, so she's happy enough with it. :)

cheers,

-brian