[rescue] "New" SPARCserver 20

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 09:54:29 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 10:08:06PM -0400, s at avoidant.org wrote:

> Yes they are, and yes i is. 'Specially after a SPARC2 and an SLC before
> that (the original thin client?).

wow, big step up in CPU.  very nice.

> I took the GX card for the SS20 from the 2, and the NVRAM from the SLC
> for the 2 once upon a time.

will do you better in that quad-CPU box anyhow. :)

> Anybody want an SLC with no NVRAM? I'm in Baltimore.

i've got enough junk, thanks anyway. (and i've got pictures to prove it!)

> Cool. Anyone know how I can move all my data (including boot stuff) from
> one drive to another? I've got an 18G Seagate I can swap in to free up
> the 9G IBM SCA for the SS20, but I don't want to lose my workstation.

are you willing to re-install the OS?  the would make things easiest, just pull
the 9GB, pop the 18GB in, and put the 9GB in second.  the 9GB is no longer your
root/boot disk, and once you are finished setting up the 18GB, all your data
is right there to be moved over.  although you can do it without re-installing,
up to you after all. :)

> Yep. Same here, though I've done a few Red Hat workstations with one big
> / and nothing else. Not bad for a visitor pc that gets wiped every few
> weeks.

these make great machines as long as they are well maintained or get wiped
every couple of weeks.  easy to setup as well.

> Good advice. I'll do it. If I can. There's a problem, though. Solaris 8
> installer is sitting waiting for me to tell it what language to use. I
> can't type. I mentioned yesterday that the machine doesn't seem to take
> any keyboard input except "stop-a" until I've "stop-a"d twice. It knows
> it has a keyboard, as evidenced from the "Keyboard present" message at
> boot. Also, it takes the "stop-a".
>
> Thoughts anyone?

hmm, look for a new keyboard.  also, try re-connecting it a couple times. it
sounds like you have a bad connection/keyboard/controller.  if re-connecting it
doesn't work and a new keyboard doesn't work, you may have just found yourself
a server. :)

> I did get 2.6 to install, and found a badd SIMM in the process. I
> reported yesterday that the machine was reporting 240M and 224M
> variously. Well, tonight I sat and pulled all the SIMMs and inserted
> them one by one to see what they said. I wnded up with 3x64M and 2x 32M
> for a total of 256M working and one dead 64M SIMMs. 256M! Woo-hoo!

Memory: 384M real, 45M free, 307M swap in use, 495M swap free

there is no such thing as enough memory.  that's my workstation too. :)

> (Remember, this was FREE!)

can't argue that at ALL.  lucky bastard (i just had to say it again)

> I found a pretty good security write-up at BigAdmin today. Once I've got
> an OS on here, I'll give it a thorough read.

good, probably a good place to get info.  make sure to get the latest jumbo
patch cluster and all that jazz too.

> She's 5. Reader Rabbit don't do unix. :-)

ah, i have the same situation.  cartonnnetwork.com needs flash/shockwave, so
i need a winders box for the kid (well, i think i'll replace my dead winders
box with a Mac this time, *grin*)

> Cool. Here we go, then (unless I should get some VSIMMS on ebay and put
> this thing on my desk.) or maybe I'll just run X from my linux box (20"
> monitor there, only 17" Sun)

considering your keyboard problems, you may end up doing this anyway. :)

> I've got a simple 10/100 ethernet at home. An SS20 with two 10M cards
> will do just fine. I don't think it'll be the bottleneck.

not at all.

> > http://coombs.anu.edu.au/ipfilter/
> Thankee.

no problem.  and if you need help, i'm, well, experienced. :)

> Cool. Hope I can contribute.

take your time and learn.  we are in no rush to make you help.  learn first,
then help.

-brian

ps: pimp is setting up interview with CDNOW, wish me luck.