[rescue] WTB: SGI

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 19:03:23 CDT 2001

You say graphics work, but you don't say what kind.  From past comments
from you, I'm guessing you want 3D programs like Lightwave, Blender, SI,
or Maya.  In that case, go for an indigo2.  Or, Octane MXI (you didn't say
what cheap was).

If you want video editing or the Adobe Premiere, well anything with decent
video IO would work.  Your best bet is an O2, but whatever you find would
work.  However, a Mac or NT box would run Premiere better.

Other 2D imaging programs (of the non Adobe variety) might actually use
hardware acceleration, in which case an O2 would be better.

So, basically, look for either an O2 or a Indigo2 Hi-Impact or better.
But, unless you have software that really pushs texturing hard, the
Indigo2 would be the faster machine.

I have used both the O2 and an Indigo2 (I used a Max IMpact), as well as
an Onyx and an Indy.  In my opinion, an Indy probably isn't for most
people who want to really use the machine these days.

--
Joshua Boyd