[rescue] RE: WinNT/2K/98/95 "up times"

Steve Pacenka rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 15:26:42 CDT 2001

Ken Hansen wrote:

> I have a PPro Linux box (Mandrake 7.0 for 21 days, then about 3 weeks at RH 7.0 w/errata CD installed), and it is running fine - I am reluctant to re-install RH to get the second CPU running, but I will this weekend probably...

Do you have Mandrake or RedHat running now?

At worst you have to install the kernel sources from the distribution
currently in use and build yourself a kernel with SMP support turned on.

RH comes with an alternate kernel package kernel-smp.*.rpm that can be
installed to avoid compiling.

Unless you spend lots of time fiddling with Linux kernels, I suggest using kernel sources that come with the distribution rather than ones available from www.kernel.org.  The distributions' versions will have patches applied and options selected that are matched to the rest of the distribution, for example to init scripts.

-- SP