[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 14:52:15 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 12:47:43PM -0700, Devin L. Ganger wrote:
> Usually followed up by:
> "...but for God's sake don't spend any money!"
> At least in my experience. :)

Amen, brother.  I've worked for companies where I went out and
spent money out of my pocket to upgrade the network core equipment
(cisco switch) just so my job was easier.

> Yup.  There's a much more formal (and rigorous) process in that type of
> environment that, if followed properly (and this includes knowing when
> to ignore it), significantly reduces the likelihood that software issues
> jump up to surprise you after you've put said software into production
> use.

Yes, and having rigorous policies/procedures helps too.

> There's also the difference of working for an IT department for a
> business that is not primarily IT-oriented, and working for an IT
> company.

Yeah, working in "IT Support" (e.g, maintaining systems that people
within the company use for core operations) is quite a bit different
than throwing up another mailserver....

Bill

--
Bill Bradford