[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Devin L. Ganger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 14:47:43 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 02:27:13PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> when I worked for an isp:
>
> "I dont care how long it takes or what you have to do, fix it"

Usually followed up by:

"...but for God's sake don't spend any money!"

At least in my experience. :)

> Now, when I work for a Baby Bell:
>
> "If you have to spend more than 30 minutes on it, say fuck it, call
>  in the extreme support contract and get a SE on site - we pay for
>  it, we might as well use it"
>
> We dont end up with many "sysadmin could have fixed it" problems,
> tho - most of our failures are due to obscure hardware issues.

Yup.  There's a much more formal (and rigorous) process in that type of
environment that, if followed properly (and this includes knowing when
to ignore it), significantly reduces the likelihood that software issues
jump up to surprise you after you've put said software into production
use.

ISPs tend to not want that same level of process, and it can, at times,
show.

There's also the difference of working for an IT department for a
business that is not primarily IT-oriented, and working for an IT
company.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
find / -name *base* -exec chown us:us {} \;