[rescue] howto make multiple main boards work on a Sun Sparc 670/MP

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 12:10:15 CDT 2001

>   LINC!!  Relax.  Both James and I run Linux on at least one or two of
> our machines.  We like it.  Pipe down and put the LinuxTribesman
> spears away.  What James was referring to was writing half of the
> support for a new architecture (VAX, for example) and then calling it
> "done".

Exactly.   My main workstation is a Linux box right now.  I like Linux.
Sure, it has its quirks, but what OS doesn't?

My 2 biggest beefs with it are:

There are proponents and developers that have crossed the line from
advocacy to zealotry.  They take any little poke at the OS, whether
founded or unfounded, and turn it into some shitstorm of "OHMYGOD YOU'RE
BASHING LINUX, YOU WORK FOR MICROSOFT, DON'T YOU".  From what I've seen,
this tends to hinder performance tweaking a bit, since any reports of
problems in performance get shoved aside with "Penguinistas" screaming
MICROSOFT FUD!!!!!!

i386 platform bias...All these companies run out screaming "Our product
runs on Linux!".  No...it runs on Linux/i386.  What about those of us
running it on an Alpha or Sparc platform?  Its not that hard to copy your
source code to an Alpha or Sparc box and type "make" and then tweak the
little 32/64 bit issues that might or might not come up.

Politics aside, though, its a nice OS.  I don't mind running it.