[rescue] Re: WTFO: 501-1739

Chris Powell rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 09:23:33 CDT 2001

On 14 Jun 2001 23:15:05 MDT Michael Hansen wrote:

> I hold in my hands two 30 pin SIMMs, both of which have similar looking
> Sun barcodes on the back. The number on both begins with 501-1739.
> One has three chips, the other nine. Any idea why two different types
> of simm have the same part number, but function differently?

My understanding is the same part # should have the same functionality.

I've seen the same part # used on different brands of SIMM, and
different DRAM chip speeds (though speeds are always faster or
equal to Sun's rated speed). I don't recall seeing any 3-chip 30-pin
Sun SIMMs.

> (The nine chip versions work in my SS1+ machines, the three chip kind
> seems to cause the memory test to hang (Stop-A results in the "ok"
> prompt))

Are you sure a) the SIMM is not dead and b) the barcode hasn't been
swapped from a 9-chip SIMM.

> More importantly, will the three-chip version work in the SS2?
> Any other common machines?  =

According to the Sun hardware FAQ, the 501-1739 can be used in IPC,
SS1, SS1+, SS2 and 4/6x0.

Chris.