[rescue] This might make you smile (was THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.)

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 08:59:47 CDT 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > Of course, /me wonders if most modern bios still even remeber how to boot
> > to CGA, let alone the old text only cards.
>
> text-mode is text-mode, right?  it hasn't changed since those days, it just
> comes included with hardcore 2d/3d graphics power that doesn't even get used
> if you have it in text-mode these days.  i could be wrong, but i believe that
> is true.

Ah, but you see, many (most?) PCs don't boot strictly in textmode.  Every
>486 machine that I have has some graphics in the boot sequence (at a
minimum, they all display an energy star bitmap in the upper right
corner).  Further, more and more machines use a graphical bios system.

> i would think it is actually harder to find a machine with an ISA slot though.

ISA is definatly disappearing, but it isn't that hard to find machines
with it still.  Unless it is a P4 system.  So far, I don't think I've seen
any P4s with ISA.

--
Joshua Boyd