[rescue] This might make you smile (was THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.)

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 15 08:39:46 CDT 2001

> I once came across a company that had taking the old IBM text only display
> board (remeber, the absolute very first video display card in PCs), and
> added a serial to parrallel port converter chip to it.  Plus this puppy,
> and the bios thinks you have an incredibly old video card that it can post
> to, and which can act as a serial console.

that's cool as hell.  helps you get around what is (in my opinion) one of the
more annoying aspects of PCs.

> Of course, /me wonders if most modern bios still even remeber how to boot
> to CGA, let alone the old text only cards.

text-mode is text-mode, right?  it hasn't changed since those days, it just
comes included with hardcore 2d/3d graphics power that doesn't even get used
if you have it in text-mode these days.  i could be wrong, but i believe that
is true.

i would think it is actually harder to find a machine with an ISA slot though.

don't truely know, i avoid x86 hardware.

-brian