[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 14 07:46:20 CDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Will Jennings wrote:

> Well, just to add in my own 2 cents worth, and to somewhat go with the
> general "know-what-you're-doing" path.. Our NT server at work is practically
> never down, unless we're doing fun things like "hey, I heard this linux
> thingy will boot on a floppy and hack the admin pw! Cool! Damn, didn't work!
> Ok, time to bring the server back up.." *grin* But then our company has 3
> total employees. However, on a larger scale, I have customers that use NT
> exclusively, and for significantly larger numbers of users (I work for
> SMB-aimed VAR). And the NT servers we set up don't go down... But then, we
> know what we're doing too... Not trying to send pretentious, but my dad is
> an MCSE and MCP, and has been in the computer business since 1965, and I've
> been using computers since the age of 3. Also, we generally only sell HP
> Netservers and IBM Netfinitys as NT servers, no Dell shit (I call them
> "Smell" and often joke about them being something good to fill dumpsters
> with). But largely it comes to opinion...

My school has a pain of Dell Precision machines.  In theory, they are darn
fine machines.  Dual xeon processors, 512megs of ram, Intergraph Wildcat
video cards.  In reality, they are flakey and problematic.  When they
work, they are really, really, really, really fast.  8-15megs of geometry
data?  smooth rotation?  No problem.

--
Joshua Boyd