[rescue] Prime Time

Brian Harrington rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 15:49:01 CDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> Now, is that F50 a library machine, or one of your personal machines?  I
> ask because my schools library uses and IBM AIX machine, which to my
> understanding, is the only AIX machine on campus.  All other unix machines
> on campus are HP-UX (current standard for IT), Solaris (old standard for
> IT, plus old standard for CS, plus current standard for meteorology),
> linux (tons of students, plus new CS lab), and Irix (few odd machines in
> CS and meteorology).

The F50 is a library machine, but it's not THE library machine (that's an
E5500). It's a leftover from a failed partnership with IBM Research, and
is the only AIX box we have (we're slowly becoming a Solaris and Linux
shop, with a bunch of NT clients I don't think about).  I think that most
big libraries tend to run Solaris or MVS, while smaller ones run NT, but
I'm pretty sure that all of the big integrated library system vendors
support AIX, and you see a surprising amount of it, especially in big
consortial deals.

                    -- Brian

--
Brian Harrington