[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 15:24:16 CDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On June 13, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> > What exactly is this "prime time" anyway?  Linux (and *bsd) are obviously
> > being used sucessfully in very high profile bet the company systems, so
> > what more is needed for "prime time"?
>
>   "Prime time" is simply defined: my former coworkers and I didn't give
> it a second thought when we were deploying hundreds of console-less
> zero-babysitting Sparc5 machines running NetBSD onto other peoples'
> networks as satellite downlink controllers.  The hardware and the
> software Just Works...no bullshit.  That's how *I* define "ready for
> prime time".

Oh gawd... that must mean you work for Skycache/Cidera then.  Wooh!  Nice to
meet you!

The Sparc5 that was supplied a couple of years ago arrived dead, and was
eventually replaced with a seriously over-specced U2 backplane PIII machine
running FreeBSD.

The non-working SS5 eventually disappeared, and after some canabolisation,
addition of a framebuffer, 200usd's worth of RAM and a new disk turned up as
my primary Sparcbox at home now.

Paul

Hey -- BTW, the SS5 now runs Debian ;-)