[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 13:54:54 CDT 2001

Josh wrote:
> And here, I thought that IBM liked linux based on its own merits.  I mean,
> linux does genuinly add new functionality and open new markets for the

It opens markets but doesn't add anything that porting AIX to S/390
wouldn't do (except the port gets done a lot cheaper by writing off
an S/390 or three to various developers vs. assembling an in-house
devel group to port it.)

> zSeries machines.  And if IBM can sell one of those to a company, they
> probably have that company hooked for a long time.

Most companies are "hooked" on IBM because they don't know there is
better stuff out-there. It's much easier for a vendor to continue
sales to a customer after they're "locked in" to a particular
vendor-- both technically [ locked into architecture ] and logistically
[ proving to suits this new computer from Sun/whomever is better. ]

-Jon