[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 11:31:47 CDT 2001

On June 13, G W Adkins wrote:
> Hell, I don't mind pissing off the linux crowd...
> Perhaps it's adoption by SGI will result in closing up some of those
> security and stability issues....  (wait, SGI? Security?  what the HELL am I
> saying!...)

  The OS vendor cannot predict what environment their products will be
used in, nor can they account for them all within a reasonable
budget.  The only person who knows the environment of a given system
is the syadmin.  For where the vast majority of SGI machines are put
into service (i.e. not sitting out in the wind on the Internet),
Irix's security holes aren't an issue.  This leaves the responsibility
on the shoulders of the sysadmin.

  If you're a sysadmin and you can't secure a box, no matter what OS
it's running, you shouldn't be a sysadmin.  I hate to put it in such
blunt terms, but that's just the way it is.

> <sees McGuire coming at full charge like a raging bull - dons asbestos
> suit...>

  Enough.

> No, really...  hopefully it's adoption by a 'Real Computer (tm)' company
> will help to dispell a little of that 'not quite ready for prime time'-ness
> which seems to plague Tux.

  I like Linux...a lot, actually.  But frankly, the only thing that
will dispell any of the "not quite ready or prime time"-ness will be
the attention of a few dozen experienced programmers for a few months.
Not marketing efforts.

              -Dave McGuire