[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 09:18:42 CDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> hey, SGI isn't doing too well these days.  at least they didn't just slap a
> Cray logo on a big Origin box.

Actually they did do that, hence the former line of machines know as the
cray origins.  My understanding is that the Cray Origins differed from
the SGI Origins in the area of interconnect hardware, since the Crays
spanned multiple racks, but I think the SGIs were confined to one
rack.  But this is just theory and hersay.

But, maybe you were just being sarcastic.

> > At least they didn't insult us by using Intel hardware.
>
> the Alpha is actually a pretty slick CPU.  not vector mind you, but how much
> call is there for big vector machines these days? (Dave or James?)

The Alpha's do have vector extensions though... (called Max, I think).

> the Linux bit doesn't exactly thrill me, but that's just SGI's adoption of
> Linux all around that we won't seem to be able to avoid.  i'm not going to
> say any more, i always tend to piss of the Linux crowd.

You do realize that Cray is no longer affiliated with SGI, don't you?
The Cray division was sold to a company called Tera.  Tera promptly
changed their name to Cray and merged the two product lines, so the SV1
 came from the Cray purchase, but the MTA came from the Tera side.  I
think the SX-5 is also from the Tera side, and of course, the T3E and T90
come from the Cray side.

The SV-2, MTA-2, and SuperCluster are from the newly formed company.
Presumably they tried to integrate the two sides together rather than
continuing to have two "sides".

--
Joshua Boyd