[rescue] Re: [geeks] THIS. MAKES. ME. SICK.

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 09:18:27 CDT 2001

> What.  They have to stay competitive, and the fact is that many (most?)
> places the buy highend Crays also would like to be able to install an
> array of cheaper setups for different working groups.

hey, SGI isn't doing too well these days.  at least they didn't just slap a
Cray logo on a big Origin box.

> Plus, for some tasks (say, rendering visualizations for simulations run
> on the SV2), a cluster really is just as good.
>
> At least they didn't insult us by using Intel hardware.

the Alpha is actually a pretty slick CPU.  not vector mind you, but how much
call is there for big vector machines these days? (Dave or James?)

the Linux bit doesn't exactly thrill me, but that's just SGI's adoption of
Linux all around that we won't seem to be able to avoid.  i'm not going to
say any more, i always tend to piss of the Linux crowd.

-brian