[rescue] Cray J90s

P Nutton rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 05:30:08 CDT 2001

> Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:50:16 -0400
> From: Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com>
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Cray J90s
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 04:35:10PM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:
> > This is pretty much the norm at the high end.  Just try
> getting an E10k
> > without a service contract and a Sun SE permanently
> attached to it.  I
> > know of only one complete one in the world that Sun doesn't
> have their
> > paws on one way or another, and that's a fluke.
>
> You can get them without the SSE. You must get them with a minimum of
> Gold or Platinum. Plus, if you buy one now you have to get a Data
> Center assessment where the processes surrounding your IT department
> are analyzed ("are you competent enough to own an E10K?")
>
> -Jon

We have a couple of E5000s with A3000 disk arrays, it has taken us 2 years
to convince Sun that we can change the hot-swap disks ourselves and that we
don't need to arrange an engineer to carry out this vastly complicated task.
They still send them via courier (one man, one van, one disk) and then send
another courier the next day to pick up the broken disk. Oh well, its a
start, I suppose.
--
Paul Nutton, SysAdmin, somewhere dangerous in the south of England...
Naff company disclaimer to follow....

The information in this email and in any attachment(s) is commercial in confidence. If you are not the named addressee(s) or if you receive this email in error then any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.  Please notify us immediately by email at intadmin at awe.co.uk, and then delete this message from your computer.  While attachments are virus checked, AWE plc does not accept any liability in respect of any virus which is not detected.