[rescue] Radio DF equipment (was Ham radio license question)

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 11 15:19:34 CDT 2001

If you put the receiver you're connecting the DF unit to into FM mode, the
doppler shift induced by the antenna rotation imparts an audible tone in
the recieved audio.  If you churn that through a set of filter and if you
know the speed of the antenna rotation, you can easily compute the doppler
shift and thus the direction of the signal.

All of this is done in discrete components on the board.

There's a really good book about DF techniques and theories.  It's called
"Transmitter Hunting and Radio Direction Simplified".  It gives good
descriptions about how the two-antenna phase-differential and the doppler
systems work.  You should be able to get it at any ham store or through
the ARRL.