[rescue] SS2 help

Michael Graziano rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 8 19:23:59 CDT 2001

"Joshua D. Boyd" wrote:

> I love these old unix machines, but I just never seem to be very good at
> getting/keeping them working correctly.
They're not supposed to WORK, they're supposed to TEASE you! :)

> WARNING: Unable to determine keyboard typescreen
> Can't open input device.
> SPARCstation 2, No Keyboard
> ROM Rev. 2.2, 40 MB memory installed, Serial #4260777.
> Ethernet address 8:0:20:e:d6:d5, Host ID: 554103a9.
I've never seen that WARNING: line before, but the "Can't open..."
is because there's no keyboard IIRC.  You can safely ignore that.
On the plus side your NVRAM battery is probably good :)

> Testing   1 megs of memory. Still to go    0
> Boot device: /sbus/esp at 0,800000/sd at 3,0   File and args:
> SCSI device 3,0 is not responding
> Can't open boot device
>
> Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)
> Boot device: /sbus/esp at 0,800000/sd at 3,0   File and args:
> SCSI device 3,0 is not responding
> Can't open boot deviceP/RAR.

The P/RAR is new to me, but the line about device 3,0 is probably
because there is no disk with SCSI ID 3 in the machine.  Try going
to new command mode (type n at the > prompt) and doing a probe-scsi
That will list all the drives the system can detect as well as their
SCSI IDs.  If you don't have a disk 3 try booting from one of
the other disks using either
boot /sbus/esp at 0,800000/sd@[disk ID],[Partition]
or
boot disk[id]:a (I'm not sure if it's a colon or a comma, I don't
have a Sun in working order to test on right now (my 670 is STILL
in pieces... but mostly back together :))

Good Luck,

/~mikeg