[rescue] Ham license question...

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 7 23:05:23 CDT 2001

The code requirement is more historical than practical.
At one time it was decided that the code would be the
best basic thing to use in case of disaster and the
radio was damaged or one had to be constructed.  Even if
the audio of a transmitter failed, you could still key
the mike.  When I had to get my Advanced, I had to prove
I had the 13 WPM from the General license.  The code was
really tough for me (I think the dyslexia has something
to do with it) but I did pass.  A lot of people question
the reason for it but heck, that was what was required,
so I studied hard and got my license.  Unfortunately,
youdo have to jump through the hoops at times.