[rescue] Ultra 1 CPU fans and heat load?

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 7 19:52:53 CDT 2001

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Loomis, Rip wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas as to a cheap fix?  Can I get
> away without the fan at all, but with the existing heat
> sink (which is smaller than those on the systems which
> don't have fans and use only passive cooling)?

I believe Sun still has an open FCO (Field Change Order) out for the Ultra
1's.  If you call them up they should be able to upgrade your motherboard
to the later rev (with just a huge heatsink) regardless of whether or not
you're the orignal owner.

> Anyone know of a place with a wide selection of small
> fans that I can order a replacement from, either on-line
> or over the phone?  Fan dimensions (don't have a
> metric ruler handy although I suspect that would be
> more appropriate) are nominal 2"x2" by 3/8" thick,
> with the (4) corner screw holes 1 5/8" apart.

If you really want to go this route, try Digi-Key (www.digikey.com).  I
recommend getting the board upgrade, though.

-James