[SunRescue] OT: AS/400 stuff

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 5 08:05:03 CDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Paul Khoury wrote:
> >> That is, if I can also find the S/390 software for it (VM/ESA I think?).
> >> I saw some of these, with OS/2 and VM installed selling on ebay, but they
> >> were going for almost $4000!
> >
> >  Heh...that was a *steal*.  Care to take a guess at what a copy of
> >VM & OS/390 costs?  Multiply that cost by 25.
> >
> Shit, $1000 for the license?  Yikes.
> Well, they say on the auction it's a non-transferrable license, for demo use.
> Like anyone is stupid enough to listen to that disclaimer anyways...

No, he meant multiply by 25, not .25.  So, the license is somewheres
around $100,000, which sounds a bit high from what I've heard, but not
too much higher than I expected.  Keep in mind that the zSeries starts at
about $200,000(according to friend in school's IT dept, which has some
IBMs still) for a single processor machine (although it is really an 8
proc machine with 7 turned off till you pay more).

And that is just the license for VM/ESA.  You can't do much with only
VM/ESA (spent awhile reading some books at school before they got trashed.
Wish I'd saved them...).  You still need at least one other operating
system on top, like MVS, or linux, or preferably both.

--
Joshua Boyd