[SunRescue] OBP coolness

Sam Creasey rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 1 12:07:24 CDT 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 01:05:18PM -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> > A typo lead to a discovery. The OBP complained about my typo and said something
> > to the effect that the command "words" would give me a list of available
> > commands. Sure enough it did. One entry said "power-off"... Hrrmmm... lets see.
> > <type> power-off<end type> and #sound-of-drives-parking_and_silence#... it
> > powered off. Damn good thing I had dropped to single user and synced first.
>
> I remember the first time I ran across a machine that could turn off its
> own power (was some ATX-formfactor PC).
>
> "woah."
>
> Then there's even the Netra T1, which can turn ON its own power.. 8-)

For some reason, this type of behavior never fails to remind me of the old
(rather crappy) movie "Electric Dreams".   (during the bit in which the
frantic scram is made to shut off the computer, and it begins turning
itself on, and even plugging itself in, I think...)

Always gives me the creeps due to that scene.  Whenever I get  in a new
PeeCee, the first thing I do is shut power management off in the bios so
it can't so this sort of thing. :)

-- Sam

Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as
kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to
repetitive music.
        -- Unknown