[SunRescue] Re: OBP coolness

Chris Powell rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 1 06:45:14 CDT 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 01:05:18PM -0400, James Fogg wrote:

> A typo lead to a discovery. The OBP complained about my typo and said something
> to the effect that the command "words" would give me a list of available
> commands. Sure enough it did. One entry said "power-off"... Hrrmmm... lets see.
> <type> power-off<end type> and #sound-of-drives-parking_and_silence#... it
> powered off. Damn good thing I had dropped to single user and synced first.

Funny thing with 'power-off' is that it doesn't work if you are using a
type 4 keyboard (i.e. missing the 'power' key) - at least with a SS10.
OpenBoot will complain if you try it. Strangely though, 'power-off' does
work with a serial-console. Neither the type 4 keyboard or the serial
console have a way of turning a SS10 back on (which is why OBP is
complaining I guess).

Chris.