[SunRescue] Re: Wow

William Barnett-Lewis rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 28 12:22:28 CST 2001

"True Names" was one of the first, and some argue best, cyberpunk novel.
The basic premise is that, like old time wizards dealing with demons, if
you know someones "True Name" you have total power over the person.

Personally I think that though it's an excellent story, "Shockwave
Rider", "Snow Crash", or even "Neuromancer" are better takes on the
concept. Still for when it was written (mid to late 70's ISTR), it is an
interesting take on the whole cyberspace concept and it has had a
profound impact on the genre. I believe more info can be found in recent
editions of the Jargon File. (Dang, can't find the URL... time to go
surf ESR's web again.)

> Message: 7
> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:11:33 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Cyrus M. Reed" <reedc at cc.wwu.edu>
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Wow.
>
> Pardon my (perhaps extreme) ignorance, but what is this book about?  I've
> never heard of it.
>
> -Cyrus
>
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > I finally found a copy of 'True Names . . and Other Dangers' by
> > Vernor Vinge, after searching for YEARS (since 1993) for a copy.
> > I ran across it at the local Half-Price Books one day (I go to
> > the V (Vinge) section every time I"m there, just to see if they
> > might have one.. and after doing this 2-3 times a week for 2
> > years.. bingo!)
> >
> > I looked the book up on Yahoo! auctions.  Found three of them.
> > $50, $80, and $100.  Yow.  Is this thing REALLY in that high
> > of a demand?  I know they've been talking about reprinting it
> > for a few years now, and it keeps getting put back, and put
> > back..  but can a paperback really be worth $50?  jeez...
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > --
> > Bill Bradford
> > mrbill at mrbill.net
> > Austin, TX

William
--
You better watch out, what you wish for;
It better be worth it, so much to die for.