[SunRescue] Given an orphan IPX with sunpc card... now what?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 26 09:50:25 CST 2001

> > As luck would have it, I was given an orphan IPX box, with what looks
> > like 3 ram sticks (4m or 8m, not sure yet), and a sunpc card.

It they are 4m sticks, and it does not like 8, could they be 16M sticks?
That might be nice.

> > I know the IPX is useful on OpenBSD or NetBSD, but, what can one do
> > with the sunpc card, and what is required to use it?

I am real curious about that sunpc card.  I can't imagine a sun sparc
running dos, but I have a dos 3.3 tape at home for the sun4 crates,
so was most curious what the sunpc card is/cando, etc.

> I am glad I am not the only BSD fanatic in here as well.  ;-)

Most definitely.  I run everything from 4.3BSD through current
Free/Net/OpenBSD's, but on sunstuff have to give the nod to OpenBSD.
It always just works out of the box, just fine, and runs better
than Slowlaris.

So, can anyone explain what exactly the silly 486 card is in the IPX?
There must be some sort of fun use for it, like for running Windozgames
or running NT in an Xwindow, or somesuch cruft.....(:+\\...
Heck, it was a freebie.  Before I load up OpenBSD, it would be fun
to see what the sillyPeeCee thing does.

Thanks

Bob